U.S. Immigration Law
Dates: Visa | Labor | USCIS Processing: California | Missouri | Nebraska | Texas | Vermont | Districts
Home | Online Payment | About | Consultation | Contact | Member | Resources | News | Site Map| INA
Green Card, H1B, L1 and Visa Services


How Do I Become a Permanent Nurse in the United States?


An immigrant is a foreign national who has been granted the privilege of living and working permanently in the United States. You must go through a multi-step process to become an immigrant.

First, the USCIS must approve an immigrant petition for you, usually filed by an employer or relative.

Second, the State Department must give you an immigrant visa number, even if you are already in the United States.

Third, if you are already in the United States, you may apply for Adjustment of Status to permanent resident status. (If you are outside the United States, you will be notified to go to the local U.S. consulate to complete the processing for an immigrant visa.)

What Does the Law Say?

The Immigration and Nationality Act is a law that governs immigration in the United States. For the part of the law concerning permanent resident status, please see INA 245. The specific eligibility requirements and procedures for adjusting to permanent residence status are included in the Code of Federal Regulations [CFR] at 8 CFR 245.

Who is Eligible?

To find out who may apply for permanent residence in the United States, please see eligibility information under the for Work Visa and Family Based Visa sections on this web site. (Please note, your permanent residence status will be conditional if it is based on a marriage that was less than two years old on the day you were given permanent residence.

How Do I Apply?

The Law Office of Paul B. Christensen will be pleased to process your Green Card application, whether on behalf of the company or the self-petitioning individual. Our law office will carefully analyze your case and make recommendations on the most appropriate process for you or your company to pursue. We then assist with preparing documents and letters, continuing the case through the adjustment of status or consular processing stage, until the principal applicant and family members receive the Green Card.

Will I Get a Work Permit?

Applicants for adjustment to permanent resident status are eligible to apply for a work permit while their cases are pending. The Law Office of Paul B. Christensen can simultaneously process your work permit application while your Adjustment of Status is pending. You do not need to apply for a work permit once you adjust to permanent resident status. As a lawful permanent resident, you will receive a permanent resident card that will prove that you have a right to live and work in the United States permanently.

Can I Travel Outside the United States?

If you are applying for adjustment to permanent resident status, you must receive advance permission to return to the United States if you are traveling outside the United States. This advance permission is called Advance Parole. I f you do not apply for Advance Parole before you leave the country, you will abandon your application with the USCIS and you may not be permitted to return to the United States. Please contact our law office for more information concerning Advance Parole.

How Can I Check the Status of My Application?

Click on the menu button to the left, labeled "Check Case Status" and enter your file number.

3749 Southern Hills
Jacksonville, Florida 32225
Office: (904) 379-7802
Facsimile: (904) 212-0050
E-mail: contact@immigration-lawyer-us.com
US Immigration Attorney
Stars and Stripes
Copyright © 2003-2005,
Paul B. Christensen, P.A.
All rights reserved.
Green Card | Temporary Visas | Student Visa | Citizenship | Waiting Times | Government | News
Health Care | Employers | Deportation | Physicians List | Legal Disclaimer | Check Case Status

Home | About | Consultation | Contact | Member | Resources | Site Map
Dates: Visa | Labor | CIS Processing: California | Missouri | Nebraska | Texas | Vermont

US Immigration Lawyer - US Immigration Attorney - Immigration Law Firm
Licensed by The Supreme Court of Florida and Admitted to the Florida Bar - Offices in Jacksonville